Thursday, June 22, 2017

Vacation TBR Book List

Vacation is the time when I am able to do more of the things that I want to do than the things I am required to do. Reading has a huge part of my existence. Unfortunately, during the school season, I wasn't able to really read that much books I wanted tonread because I dedicate most of my time doing school works or chasing deadlines. But now, I can finally say that I have enough time to read the books that I badly want to read.


I have compiled and made a list of different books that I plan to read this vacation. Most are YA (Young Adult) books which is my favorite genre. So, without further ado, let's go on with the list.
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:
Winning will make you famous. 
Losing means certain death.

The nation of Panem, formed from a post-apocalyptic North America, is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. Early in its history, a rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor to claim victory.

When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. , she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.


source: goodreads

The Hunger Games trilogy is actually one of and the best books I have ever read. It is well-written. The scenes on this trilogy can be related to real world problems like poverty and injustice. It is a Young Adult dystopian story that is very moving in many ways. This trilogy consists of three books namely The Hunger Games (book 1), Catching Fire (book 2), and Mockingjay (book 3). 

This is actually the second time that I am going to be reading these books. The first time that I read these are back in 7th or 8th grade I guess. But back then I had to borrow the books from my friends. I remember being so sad because I loved the books so badly and that I don't have my own personal copy with it. However, just about months ago, I was able to get my own The Hunger Games trilogy and I am finally going to reread it just to find out if I can get a different view or opinion about the book.

Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo
Synopsis:

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

source: goodreads

This books are probably on top of my TBR list because I see these books recommended everywhere. I saw them on book recommendation videos on YouTube and read about them on blogs or even in different social media platforms. Both have a rating of 4.0+ on Goodreads. These factors actually pushed me to read these. 

Leigh Bardugo is an amazing writer and I do have high expectations on these books. As I publish this blog post, I already finished reading Six of Crows and I can say that the book is amazing. When reading, I already cut off my habit of urging myself to like a book because it's on the hype. Regardless of Six of Crows being a very famous book and a highly recommended book, it is actually a really awesome and action-packed book.

What I like about this book is that it's not too centered on its "romance" part. But there is romance on this books but it more on the individuality of the characters and the adventures they are taking and these "adventures" affect them. That's just opinion.

I am yet to read the second book in the duology which is the Crooked Kingdom and I hope it will give a great conclusion to the story. I am planning to make a book review about these books soon.


Pride and Prejudice and Emma by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice Synopsis:

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen’s witty comedy of manners—one of the most popular novels of all time—that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues. Renowned literary critic and historian George Saintsbury in 1894 declared it the “most perfect, the most characteristic, the most eminently quintessential of its author’s works,” and Eudora Welty in the twentieth century described it as “irresistible and as nearly flawless as any fiction could be.” --penguinrandomhouse.com 

source: goodreads

Emma Synopsis:

'I never have been in love; it is not my way, or my nature; and I do not think I ever shall.'

Beautiful, clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr. Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work.

source: goodreads

Time to add some spice of classics on my TBR list. 
I'm actually trying different book genres from time to time and I searched for some great classics to read. Books from Jane Austen seemed phenomenal and iconic hence I bought 2 of her greatest works. In my town, there are no book shops who still sell these classics. Thankfully, when I went to Baguio City, (a city almost near my town), there is a book shop selling secondhand books so I say why not give it a try and that maybe they will have classic books of some sort. And...voila! I was able to get both of these for a cheap price of Php300 (est. $6.00). 

Sad Girls by Lang Leav

Synopsis:

“Your first love isn’t the first person you give your heart to—it’s the first one who breaks it.”

Sad Girls is the much anticipated debut novel from international best-selling author Lang Leav. A beautifully written and emotionally charged coming of age story, where young love, dark secrets, and tragedy collide.

School is almost out for Audrey, but the panic attacks are just beginning. Because Audrey told a lie and now her classmate, Ana, is dead. Just as her world begins to spin out of control, Audrey meets the enigmatic Rad—the boy who could turn it all around. But will their ill-timed romance drive her closer to the edge?

source: goodreads

And yes, I do have the habit of saving the best for last. I've been waiting for Lang Leav's very first novel ever since I knew she plans to make one. And hey, I finally got mine! I was hesitant at first (because of the price) but it's worth it especially if it's from your most favorite author.

For those who didn't know, Lang Leav is an author and most of her previous books were her poems. She greatly inspired me to write poems and to gain more interest and love for the art of poetry. Her works are amazing that will either leave you in awe or heartbroken because of her striking poems that strike through broken hearts.

I am really excited in reading this book and I can never be happier that finally I have the chance of reading it.

You can get the book through these:



So here's the end of my Vacation TBR list. I couldn't say Summer Vacation TBR List just because my vacation is not during the summer season which is sad and frustrating. But hey, at least I had these books to read.

Let me know your own vacation tbr list and maybe I will add more books on my list and/or my future TBR lists. 

My social media links are located on the right of the screen. 

Don't forget to sign up on my newsletter to keep updated on my blogs!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

< > Home
Powered by Blogger.
Minutiae © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.