Saturday, January 20, 2018

Books I want to Read this 2018

I just stepped out from a very severe reading slump lately and boy oh boy I am ready to hunt some great books to read! I've been into watching BookTubers' (YouTubers who make videos about books) videos of their top favorite reads of 2017 and I created a list on my head of what I might read in the future.


I am really pumped up to discover new books and continue some series I read in the past year. At the moment, the book I recently finished reading is A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas and it has been on top of my favorite reads of all time as I started reading it. Let me know if you want me to make a review about it!

Anyways, without further ado let me mention the books I am interested to read this year.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way claiming I will read all the books listed on this post this year. I may change my mind at some point but the books I will be mentioning are the books I am interested to read at the moment.


A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
Yes, we are starting with the 3rd book of the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. I'm really interested on what will happen on the third book and I've read a lot of good reviews on this series hence I am definitely going to read this. Plus, I think Sarah J. Maas will be releasing  this May 2018 a companion novel of the series which is entitled A Court of Frost and Starlight. I badly want to finish the series as soon as possible in order for me to catch up with that!

I highly highly recommend you to read this trilogy if you are into young adult fantasy books because this is a book worth reading. Here is the synopsis of the first book, the A Court of Thorns and Roses:
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever. Source: Goodreads


Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Again, this is a second book on a duology by Leigh Bardugo. It was a tragic read for me because I was hit by the severe reading slump while I was reading this book last year therefore I wasn't able to finish it right away. It's not that the book is not interesting at all, but my reading slump was caused of me being so busy for school at that time. Anyway, the first book of this duology is entitled Six of Crows which is one of the best books I read. If you want adventure, and action-packed stories with awesome characters then you will love this duology!

Just like the A Court of Thorns and Roses, this duology is loved by majority of the members of the reading community. I have read some reviews stating that the ending in Crooked Kingdom is a worthy read and I can't wait myself to finish it!

If you are interested, here is the synopsis of the first book, the Six of Crows:
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first. Source: Goodreads



Monsters of Verity Duology by Victoria Schwab
I feel like I am the only person in the reading community who haven't read any book by Victoria Schwab. These books have great reviews from my trusted BookTubers which really pushed me to want to read these! The Monsters of Verity Duology consists of the books, This Savage Song and Our Dark Duet. I can say, the synopsis of This Savage Song, to me, is very interesting and I love the plot of the story on which I think is very unique.

This Savage Song synopsis:
There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwaba young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives. Source: Goodreads



Shades of Magic Trilogy by V. E. Schwab
Indeed, you are reading it right, I think 2018 will be a Victoria Schwab Books Reading Year for me. Shades of Magic trilogy is composed by three books namely, A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows, and A Conjuring of Light. I think Victoria writed her books so uniquely and even the synopsis makes me want to grab the book right now to read because it is just so good and unique at the same time. Nowadays, I think in the YA Fantasy books world, most of them have similar plots or similar concepts and it makes you feel like you are reading the same books over and over again but with different characters and a slightly different setting.

A Darker Shade of Magic synopsis:
Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. 

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.

Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive. Source: goodreads



The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
Indeed, I am being ambitious on this one. Both of these series and so as The Dark Artifices stories are well-loved by the book readers' community and I'm really curious on how good these were and I hope this year I am able to find out.

The Mortal Instruments Series consists of six books namely: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, and City of Heavenly Fire. The Infernal Devices on the oher hand only consists of three books which are Clackwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess. The Infernal Devices happened before the time mentioned in The Mortal Instruments series. On the arrangement of how you are going to read these is kind of tricky. Some say you can read it in publication order or Just read The Infernal Devices first.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end. Source: Goodreads


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) synopsis:
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Timesbestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them... Source: Goodreads


Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
Yep, I am becoming more ambitious (HAHA!). The Harry Potter Series has become the center of my childhood back then. When I was a kid, my parents used to buy me the DVD versions of the movies and I watch those over and over again until the DVD had enough scratches that makes it to play anymore. But as I get older, I found out that the Harry Potter movies I used to watch were book adaptations. It has been my goal to be able to read the books and now, I'm already 18 and still haven't read one! I am intending to finish reading this series before I go to college because college is indeed stressful, thinking maybe I won't have the time to read these anymore.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) synopsis:
Harry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. He is the boy who lived: the only person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.

Though Harry's first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it's his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.

Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment in the series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come. Source: Goodreads



The Witchland Series by Susan Dennard
I know this series are not yet finished and there should be a 5-6 books included but as of now, only two books were released: Truthwitch and Windwitch. This is the series that I don't here much from other people but some of my trusted Booktubers recommend this one still.

Falling Kingdoms Series by Morgan Rhodes
Again, this is another YA Fantasy series that I badly want to read because I love stories with a lot of characters with different aspects, perspective, and status in the story because it makes it more rich and interesting to me and Falling Kingdoms Series is definitely one of those books! I really don't want to know much about this series for the reason that I think this is the kind of books that you should read and find out the story yourself.

Truthwitch synopsis:
There is an alternate cover edition for this ASIN here.

In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

In a chance encounter at Court, Safi meets Prince Merik and makes him a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch. Source: Goodreads


Some special mentions that I want to read this year:
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Ember Quartet Series by Sabaa Tahir

Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas

Falling Kingdoms Series by Morgan Rhodes

It's pretty obvious that all of those books on my reading list right now are series and are also under the Young Adult Fantasy genre. But if you have more book recommendations, either YA Fantasy, Contemporary, or SciFi, you can comment those down below and I would love to read them myself! What are your TBR List in 2018?

Pint it!





1 comment:

Comment

< > Home
Powered by Blogger.
Minutiae © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.